Thursday 13 August 2015

Jalapeno Cream Ale - Step 3.

After waiting 5 or so days in the Primary Fermenting Pail, it was time to divide the batch into two smaller batches. Just in case I screw up the Jalapeno batch I will still have half a batch of regular Cream Ale to drink away my sorrows.

I bought 2, 10 litre water jugs from the grocery store to use as smaller Second Fermentation vessels.
Tried to drink all the water but it was too much, actually used 10 litres of it to mix with my StarSan for sanitizing my equipment and jugs.

After siphoning the beer into the 2 smaller vessels I tested the whisky that I had been soaking the jalapenos in .... not as hot as I thought.
Before adding the whisky tincture to the beer I had to taste the beer to get a baseline. (Have to say I much prefer cold, carbonated beer!)

First, I added about 1/4 oz of the tincture and re-tasted. i didnt notice much of a difference.
I then thought that possibly the flavor might intensify during another week fermenting, but really had no idea.

So logically I added more :-)

I ended up adding 3/4 oz of the whisky tincture to 10 litres of beer, popped on the airlocks and now we'll wait another week to bottle it.

I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment